Thursday, 16 February 2012

A Strangely Productive Day

I feel disconcerted when my writing is going well. I'm used to struggling! Last week, I agonised for hours over a 900 word story for my MA class. Today, I've redrafted three stories and still have enough energy to do more writing. I'm a little worried...

Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that I have 600 pages of Earthly Powers to read before Monday's seminar... has it?

I'm feeling reasonably positive about life, the universe and everything at the moment. At least, compared to my usual pessimism/confidence bypass. I've entered two competitions this month and aim to enter at least four more stories in  competitions before the end of March. I was skeptical, but forcing myself to enter competitions seems to be a productive strategy.


What next?

My goal for the next couple of weeks is to keep going, alongside completing the 2000 word story and an essay on dialogue in Anne Tyler novels for my MA course. I would like to be more adventurous and write stories featuring magic realism and/or supernatural elements. I've been reading some of Kelly Link's short stories and feel inspired; she's one of those writers who I wish I'd read when I was a teenager, since it would have encouraged me to expand my imagination rather than rein it in, as my teachers said I should. I will also continue to redraft the three stories I worked on today - hopefully they will be as good as I can get them by this time next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment