Monday, 27 February 2012

Writing Detox! AKA Clearing my Desk and my Head.

I've been rather productive lately, which is good but bewildering. However, I have to submit a 2000 word story next Wednesday, as a formative assignment for my MA course, and it's not going well... I know my plot, my characters, my setting and my theme. When I come to actually writing the story... Nothing.

Do I have too many projects on the go? I asked myself. I had 2 stories that needed redrafting and polishing, plus one that needed a little more work. I decided to have a writing detox and finished the 2 stories that were nearly done. Still couldn't write anything but a half-decent opening paragraph followed by a page of crap.

I worked on the story needing more work and managed to find solutions that had hitherto eluded me. I finished that story. I've even entered all three in competitions, so I don't have to think about them for a long time.

And I'm still having trouble!

I do feel better for being able to focus on a single story, but the clear headspace and decrease in bits of paper fluttering around has not resulted in progress on my assignment story. I'm doing a lot of freewriting around my story and characters, which I hope will soon yield fruit.

I'm only a couple of days into my writing detox - I'll see how it goes!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with this :) It's so hard to get momentum sometimes, I know how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with this story. Just stay with it. It will soon take off like magic, I am sure. Let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both :-) I will keep going and keep you informed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use cleaning to clear my head too. House cleaning that is. Mindless work that lets my ideas coalesce into story flow.

    Always sounds better in my head though :) Good luck with the story project. I'm sure it will be great.

    I tagged you in a q&a on my blog. I hope you'll play along.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete