Thursday, 31 January 2013

A Change of Name and (slight) Change of Perspective

As you may have noticed, this blog has changed its name to Hayley's Write Mind. This is more a renewal than a reinvention: I've been writing the blog long enough to clarify its purpose and the types of posts I want to publish. Writing, Reading and Waffling was a vague, nondescript title that suited me when I was testing the waters of blogging. Hayley's Write Mind describes my blog much better and is succinct. Besides, I can't resist a silly pun!

So there it is: this blog is about my writing and writing in general, with some psychology thrown in. Writing about my writing means that mentioning my experience of mental illness is inevitable, but psychology is also a topic that fascinates me. I've read a lot about psychology over the past 5/6 years, initially to understand my mental illness better and to treat it, but also as research for various university assignments. Now the craziness of university is over, I've spent a lot of time thinking about ways in which I can apply psychological knowledge and techniques to writing.

The comments on my last couple of posts seem to confirm that other people find this useful, so I intend to post more about psychology and writing in future. I will continue to blog about my own writing and experiences and hope you enjoy this (slight) change of focus - and the new name!

4 comments:

  1. Am I right in thinking that your interest in psychology could lead to the creation of some interesting characters, where you understand their motivation to do what they do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think so, but that's for others to judge! I am drawn to interesting character psychology, in my reading as well as writing, and my writing tends to be character-driven. I'm yet to write something where psychology is explicit, but I do think my interest helps my writing and may come across to readers :-)

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to the new perspectives, Hayley!

    ReplyDelete