Monday, 31 March 2014

Refresh: My Quarterly Review

I'm determined not to be one of those people whose New Year's resolutions fade into the past by springtime. That doesn't necessarily mean I will complete every resolution; priorites change over relatively short periods of time and life gets in the way. However, it means I have to take the time to review my goals every few months to ensure I'm still working towards something, whether or not I'm following my original plan.

I've completed 2 of my New Year's resolutions so far: I finished the computer courses I enrolled on and I can run for an hour (albeit very slowly). There are 29 altogether, but I'm unsure about a few of them and several are aiming to change my day-to-day habits (such as keeping a spending diary and doing yoga), so they are assessed rather than achieved. I'm working on the rest of my goals, but tend to be erratic when it comes to completing actions that count towards them...

So how am I progressing on my writing goals?

Hmmm... I have been submitting more work over the past few weeks, so should meet my aim of submitting at least 12 pieces within the next couple of months. However, I've been neglecting my novel and haven't yet finished the first draft, let alone finished the novel 'to a decent standard' as my resolution says.

Most of my writing progress has come about in ways I hadn't foreseen at the start of the year. I'm doing writing activities as volunteer work for a local non-profit and I'm trying to build a freelance career in writing nonfiction alongside my fiction. I forced myself to join LinkedIn and write a profile, which was terrifying — I'm announcing to the world that I take my writing seriously and want to be paid for writing!

Connected to this new change of direction are 2 courses for which I've just registered... I will soon be starting the first, which is on Web Design, and will be doing a 12 week Open University module called An Introduction to Bookkeeping and Accounting in May. The theory is that both courses will give me skills that will enhance my freelance writing career, plus they will be useful when applying for clerical jobs. 

Neither computer skills nor numbers come naturally to me, so both courses will be challenging. I have to remember that facing these challenges is the only way I'm going to improve my skills. In fact, a lot of my New Year's resolutions for 2014 have this theme — because facing challenges is always better than running away from your fears.

8 comments:

  1. You have an interesting blog. It is focused, informative and insightful. thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sridhar. That's very kind :-)

      Delete
  2. That's a fantastic list of achievements so far, Hayley, and I like your plans! Funnily enough, I'm back to writing short fiction and non-fiction again and neglecting the current novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary. I don't feel like I've achieved much most of the time, though!

      Delete
  3. What a delight to stumble across this blog of yours Hayley. I had no idea that you did all this stuff! Writing (and you do have a lovely turn of phrase), volunteering for the non-profit, online courses, submitting work and the exercise regime. It's great that you're keeping track of your resolutions and posting them here for everyone to see, which I guess puts the pressure on a bit more to get them done!

    Keep it up!

    Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  4. While others may have had difficulties in accomplishing their new year's resolutions, it seems that you are well on your way to fulfilling yours. Congratulations! With this progress, there’s no doubt that you’ll achieve all of your goals before the year ends. And with regard to your new course in bookkeeping and web design, I think it will really help you in training the skills you need to advance in your chosen career. Good luck!

    Herman Thompson @ AccountAbility Plus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Some of my resolutions have fallen by the wayside, but I'm pleased to have reached some goals and I'm passionate a out the ones I'm still working towards :-)

      Delete