Wednesday, 10 June 2015

Slogging it Out

I'm working on my next Scatterbrain Guide at the moment. Well, it's open on the laptop screen in front of me. It has taken me about 45 minutes to write a single paragraph. The cat has tried to contribute by walking over the keyboard, but I didn't think ,llllllllllllllllllmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm contributed anything to my chapter on building healthy habits. My dog is quiet at the moment, thanks to a rawhide chew, but the writing just isn't flowing.

I think this is one of the most frustrating aspects of writing: sometimes it flows fast and strong, while at other times you have to slog it out to get a trickle. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for my being stuck today — apart from generally not being a morning person and getting disorientated by my alarm not going off, which meant I got up an hour later than usual, and my thinking it was Thursday when I woke up. I suppose that's a net gain of 23 hours, in a way, but it doesn't help my state of mind!

My other focal point for this week is a short story. That's not going well, either. I have most of the elements in place, but I'm struggling to express them in the right way. In the past, I would have gotten discouraged and given up. Nowadays, I get on with the long, hard slog because at least it produces some work and you never know when that trickle will become a torrent...

2 comments:

  1. That struggle is one I know, having the elements in place but trying to jigsaw them together properly. I'm embroiled in a long-needed rewrite of a short story, with a headfull of things I want to get on the page either by spelling it out and/or alluding to them (both, really. I love my literary allusions dearly, even if nobody else gets 'em) and sometimes the need to get it right is paralyzing and makes it hard to get it on the page in the first place. Can't edit what you don't have written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's soooooooo true. I'm always saying it's easier to edit a page of crap than an empty page — just wish I followed my own advice more often!

      Delete