Tuesday, 7 July 2015

POWER MONTH Hits a Slump

I declared July Power Month in my last post and the first few days went pretty well: I worked on my novel, blogged and felt positive about the month ahead. Then the weekend hit... Hay fever and headaches caused by humidity are partly to blame, but my motivation has sunk and I'm wasting time worrying instead of taking action.

My tactic for the whole month is to power through, but I will especially have to apply that to my novel today. I'm aiming to write 70,000 words during CampNaNoWriMo, so my daily target is 2,500 words — I've built in some wiggle room, but I didn't intend to fall behind in the first week! Doubts are creeping in: will the novel turn out okay? Am I an idiot to waste time writing it? Will everyone hate it? Should I just give up writing altogether? I know I've got to grit my teeth and write through the doubts, but it's bloody difficult.

Because the novel is proving such a struggle, I'm also neglecting my other projects. I've done a little preliminary work (brainstorming ideas and freewriting) but nothing major. I'm no closer to figuring out how to earn a living from writing. My next Scatterbrain Guide is just a bunch of scribbles. I haven't drafted a stash of blog posts. I've done very little work on short stories. Just writing about my failures makes me feel lazy and useless.

I hope this slump is a temporary setback. I had such high hopes for Power Month and never expected to fall at the first hurdle.


2 comments:

  1. The worries and doubt are an integral part of the process, Hayley, and I don't think any writer is ever free of them, no matter what stage of their writing career they have reached. I tend not to set too many defined goals for myself for that reason - it's so hard to retain control over them and still have enough zest for writing when the targets are not met. I realise targets are important motivators for many people, but it's important to remember you aren't a robot and can't always be expected to perform to the same high standard every day. Wishing you all the best. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanna :-) I just feel so lazy and unproductive compared to other writers.

      Delete