Wednesday, 15 July 2015

Recharging the Power

So... Power Month hasn't been going as well as I had anticipated. The slump was getting me down last week, so I decided to take some time off and recharge. I did nothing I didn't feel like doing, writing-wise. My novel lay untouched. I came to the end of my stash of ready-drafted blog posts for Resurfacing and Rewriting and write Friday's post off the top of my head: I think it turned out all right. I did a little freewriting, but that was it.

Today, I returned to my goals and I'm determined to achieve every single one. I will have to average over 3000 words a day to reach my CampNaNoWriMo target of 70,000 words but it's doable. My motivation has kickstarted itself again and I have faced the fact that if I quit or neglect my goals, I will regret it more than trying and failing to reach them.

The whole point of Power Month is that I wouldn't have time to psychoanalyse my every action. I didn't want to obsess over why I tend to procrastinate, especially when the goals are important to me (although I suspect I know the answer). So I am diving back into action and shall refuse to think about anything other than putting one foot in front of the other. Or, rather, I will try not to overthink everything...

4 comments:

  1. Good for you for getting back into the game. It's hard not to procrastinate; procrastination is one of my worst habits, which is why I often end up reading about old movies and episodes of The Twilight Zone on Wikipedia (and I didn't even like that show!). But once you break free of it, it's much easier to feel inspired again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) You've given me ideas now — I used to quite like The Twilight Zone...

      Delete
  2. Woo, you have the power!

    I too had a BIG dip in the middle of the month. I was sick, we had guests, etc. etc. I've been playing catchup for several days as a result, and luckily, yesterday was particularly productive. My official Camp NaNoWriMo goal is still 50k, but I really hope to be at more like 60k-75k so that the draft could be considered "finished".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cheated a little by starting to include the 6000 words I wrote before CampNaNoWriMo, which seems to have given me the impetus to write more and get back on track! I'm hoping to write a big chunk today and tomorrow to lower the number of words I need to write each day to reach my target on time :-)

      Delete